Fay Ripley’s mid-week mini roast recipe
With after school activities busier than ever – from homework to sports clubs and after school playdates – navigating the family weekly schedule and deciding what to put on the midweek menu can be a tricky task.
As the dinner dilemma continues to cause a headache for families across the country, celebrity mum and recipe author Fay Ripley has joined forces with Red Tractor beef and lamb to bring you the perfect solution – the midweek mini roast!
Cooked in the oven in under 50 minutes, a beef or lamb mini roast means you can serve-up the little ones’ favourite dinner any night of the week. From a traditional roast with veg to sides of rice or chutney, the mini roast is extremely versatile, meaning you can cater for the various family tastes and ensure your kids enjoy a nutritious meal at the same time. What is more, the mini roast makes for a quick and low maintenance meal, so while it’s cooking in the oven, you’ll be free to help with the homework!
Fay has created an online video to show you how easy it is and to offer some thoughts and exclusive tips on catering for a busy family, plus some great recipe ideas, visit www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Fay Ripley said: “As a working mum of two I understand how busy it is during the week. I’m often running around from after school clubs, the sports field – all on top of trying to fit in the homework and put a nutritious meal on the table. The midweek mini roast offers a perfect solution. You can choose the different sides that fit your family’s taste and it’s so easy to cook, meaning that when it’s in the oven you have time for the other weekly activities or a precious few minutes for yourself!”
Beef Mini Roast with a Smoked Paprika Rub and Jewel Rice
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes (for medium)
1 x 400-450g/14oz-1lb lean beef mini roast
A little salt
Freshly milled black pepper
2.5ml/1Ž2tsp smoked paprika powder
For the Jewel Rice:
200g plain rice of your choice
100g/4oz frozen peas
Small bunch fresh mint
Fresh cucumber and yogurt relish
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the joint in a small roasting rack lined with foil and make several slits over the surface.
- Add the oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and rub generously over the joint.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and the peas separately according to the packet instructions – drain and stir together.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly chop the mint and stir through the rice.
- Remove any meat bands or butcher’s string from the joint, carve and serve with the vegetable rice and the relish.
Would your children enjoy this? This is something I do quite a bit at home as it is something that all the children eat really well. It is perfect as it is something that can easily be made into yummy home cooked baby food, meaning one meal for all the children.