The festive season is fast approaching. Who has warmed up the mulled wine yet? Or maybe you are all about the gingerbread lattes?
Soon we will be getting out the decorations, putting up the Christmas trees, making gingerbread houses and wrapping gifts to festive tunes.
Children have begun rehearsals for Christmas plays and concerts and you might be planning ahead for who you are going to see and what you will be doing during the holidays.
Given everything that goes on over the next few weeks, home security might not be hot on your agenda. However, this time of year it can be especially important to consider how secure your home is.
You might have lots more open house situations, comings and goings, or you might be away from your home for several days at a time. With gifts lying around in the home as well you may want to think about what else you can do to protect your home.
Here are a few things to think about from Chill Insurance.
Here are a few things to consider this festive season:
- If you are going away, ask a neighbour to check on the house, possibly collect up your mail and turn a few lights on for you
- If you don’t have a neighbour to ask, use a light timer
- Don’t leave gifts on display that can be seen from the street
- Sounds simple but if you are going away make sure you lock all the doors and windows
- Don’t leave a key to the house in an obvious place like under a flower pot or door mat outside
- Be careful what you post on social media regarding your whereabouts
- Make sure you are insured
- Use motion sensors
- Check your smoke alarms
- Install a home security system
- Have exterior lighting on a timer
- Don’t leave any ladders or tools outside the property
How do you keep your home safe? Do you have any tips to share?
Keep your home safe and have a great festive period!